Public Service Loan Forgiveness
TIME IS RUNNING OUT
Waiting to apply could cost you tens of thousands of dollars or exclude you from Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
Apply before the deadline
Here is why it is critical that you apply for PSLF before Oct. 31, 2022:
The AFT settled a landmark court case last October that set in motion significant, but temporary, changes to the eligibility requirements for Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Since that time, we have heard from hundreds of members who have had their entire loan balances wiped away thanks to our union’s efforts.
If you have student debt and, like most AFT members, work for a public employer or nonprofit organization—regardless of whether you work in education, healthcare or another profession—you could have your entire debt balance forgiven, but YOU MUST APPLY before Oct. 31, 2022, to benefit from the temporary PSLF waiver.
You do not have to have made 120 payments over 10 years to benefit from this temporary waiver right now. Even if you have only made some payments to qualify for PSLF, applying before Oct. 31 may move you significantly closer to achieving loan forgiveness because you may get additional credit for MORE payments. Don’t miss out. Apply before Oct. 31 if you want to take advantage of the temporary PSLF waiver.
The right path
Here are steps you can take now to make sure you are on the right path:
- Use the U.S. Education Department’s PSLF help tool to start your application right away.
- Create or log in to your Federal Student Aid account. This is where your federal student loan information is available from the Education Department. The help tool walks you through the necessary steps to apply for Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Create your account or log in here.
- If you do not already have an FSA account, be sure to create one today. It could take several days to obtain your account information. Do not wait until Oct. 31! Apply now.
- Once you’ve completed the help tool, download and print out the auto-generated form. Have your employer(s) sign page 2. Each employer you are trying to certify will need to sign their own page 2. Then submit the form to MOHELA, using the submission instructions at the top of page 4 on the form.
- Need more information? Attend an AFT virtual student debt clinic for more details about how these programs work and what you can do to qualify. Sign up for an upcoming virtual clinic here.
- Sign up for Summer, the free AFT member benefit that helps you navigate your student loans. Summer provides information and additional support to help you navigate applying for PSLF and other loan forgiveness options.